This page is a part of the Tompkins Co., NYGenWeb Site. Not for commercial use. All Rights Reserved.
Calvary Baptist Church
Calvary Baptist marks 50th year 
The Calvary Baptist Church remains at its original location after 50 years of growth and outreach. In 1930 a large home was purchased after the death of the previous owner, Mr. and Mrs. John G. GREGG. This home was often referred to as the Gregg Mansion, but after some remodeling it bacame the house of worship for the Bradley Street congreagation. A large room was used as the sanctuary and other rooms for Sunday School classes. For several years the house was also used to accomodate the Pastor and his family. However, a home at 21 Bradley Street was purchased in more recent years and remodeled for the parsonage.
The church was organized on January 4, 1930 in the presence of Rev. A. G. TURKINGTON and Rev. J. Irving REESE of the Tabernacle Baptist Church of Ithaca. A dedication service was held on Sunday, June 8, 1930 when the first communion service was conducted.
In late 1948 and early 1949 a one story wing was built which became the new sanctuary for the growing congregation, but this was not to be the end of growth and expansion.
In March and April of 1971 the men of the church cut down trees, removed a garage and started demolition of the brick building to make way for the new 300 seat auditorium. The first service in the new 88'x44' building was held on Palm Sunday 1972.
Through the years, ten pastors have occupied the pulpit at Calvary Baptist: Rev. A. G. TURKINGTON, Rev. Thurlow YAXLEY, Rev. F. Dean BANTA, Rev. Earl LIEBY, Rev. Roy TUBBS, Rev. James GODLEY, Rev. Glenn WILSON, Rev. James WALTER, Rev. Frederick JOHNSON and the current minister, Rev. Mark L. GRAHAM, D. Min. Although the church has realized many phases of growth and change over the years, its basic objective remains unmoved, which is to exalt the Saviour of men, Jesus Christ, by means of a faithful and uncompromising dissemination of the Word of Truth--the Holy Scriptures.
The Pastor and people of the Calvary Baptist Church of Trumansburg cordially extend a public invitation for all to attend the 50th year Praise Celebration.
--Source: flyer handed out at the 50th anniversary celebration, June 18-22, 1980.
Material donated and transcribed by Virginia Peterson.
Thank you, Virginia!
You are our visitor since May 06, 2003.
Thanks for stopping by!
Thursday, 04-Jul-2019 13:12:35 PDT
© Copyright by Janet M. Nash and Johnna ArmstrongReturn to Town of Ulysses page
for the contributors of the material on these pages.
All Rights Reserved.
Return to Church page
Return to Tompkins County home page