1872 RULES FOR TEACHERS
- Teachers each day will fill lamps, clean chimneys.
- Each teacher will bring a bucket of water and a scuttle of coal for the day's session.
- Make your pens carefully. You may whittle nibs to the individual taste of the pupils.
- Men teachers may take one evening each week for courting purposes, or two evenings a
week if they go to church regularly.
- After ten hours in school, the teachers may spend the remaining time reading the Bible
or other good books.
- Women teachers who marry or engage in unseemly conduct will be dismissed.
- Every teacher should lay aside from each day pay a goodly sum of his earnings for his
benefit during his declining years so that he will not become a burden on society.
- Any teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, frequents pool or public hall or gets
shaved in a barber shop will give good reason to suspect his worth, intention, integrity
- The teacher who performs his labor faithfully and without fault for five years will be
given an increase of twenty-five cents per week in his pay, providing the Board of
Thanks to Janet Nash for sharing this little jewel.
You are our visitor
since July 24, 1998.
Thanks for stopping by!
Thursday, 04-Jul-2019 14:11:23 PDT
Return to School page
Return to Tompkins County Home Page