This page is a part of the Tompkins Co., NYGenWeb Site. Not for commercial use. All Rights Reserved.

French's Gazeteer of 1860
Town of Newfield

From Gazeteer of the State of New York by J.H. French 1860

Newfield--was formed from Spencer, (Tioga co.,) as "Cayuta," Feb. 22, 1811. Its name was changed March 29, 1822, and a part was annexed to Catharines (Schuyler co.) in 1853. It is the S.W. corner town in the co. The surface is high and hilly, the ridges being 400 to 600 ft. above the valleys and 1,500 to 1,700 ft. above tide. The streams are Cayuga Inlet and Ten Mile Creek and their branches. The valleys of these streams are usually narrow and bordered by steep hillsides. A portion of the W. part of the town is yet uncultivated. The soil is a shaly and clayey loam, best adapted to grazing. Newfield, (p.v.,) in the N.E. part of the town, contains 3 churches, 2 flouring mills, 2 carriage shops, a woolen factory, and oilcloth factory, and about 80 dwellings. Trumbulls Corners, (p.v.,) on the N. border, contains 1 church and 20 dwellings. Poney Hollow (p.o.) is a hamlet in the S.W. part. The first settler was ___ Thomas, who located at Poney Hollow.1 The census reports 3 churches in town.2


1Among the early settlers wee S. Chambers, Elijah Moore, ___ Carter, and Dan'l B. Swartwood. Jeremiah Hall kept the first inn, George Dudley the first store; and John Greene built the first mill.

2Bap., M.E., and Presb.

You are our visitor since May 13, 2003.
Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, 04-Jul-2019 12:36:09 PDT

© Copyright by Janet M. Nash and Johnna Armstrong
for the contributors of the material on these pages.
All Rights Reserved.

Return to Town of Caroline page
Return to French's Gazeteer Contents page
Return to Tompkins County home page